WEST Holds Career Mentoring Evening for 80 Girl Scouts
CAMBRIDGE, Mass., May 17, 2012 (SEND2PRESS NEWSWIRE) — WEST: Advancing Women in Science and Technology hosted a Career Mentoring event for 80 Girl Scouts that ranged from grades 4 to 12. WEST taps into its community of women scientist, engineers and technologist as career mentors to hold events for young girls as well as early and mid career women.
On Friday, May 11, 2012, WEST held a Career Mentoring event for 80 Girl Scouts from Eastern Massachusetts made possible by the Mathworks who sponsored the event, and by Microsoft who provided WEST with the venue.
In all, there were 12 WEST career mentors for the Girl Scouts; the future leaders of science, engineering and technology. The career mentors included: dental hygienist, systems architect, molecular biologist, video game inventor, electrical engineer, environmental engineer, chemical engineer, post-doctor in biology, serial entrepreneur and a pharmacist.
Having women role models representing different career paths for the young girls show them that it is possible for women to work in science, engineering and technical fields. The Girls Scouts were inspired by this event and realized that professions are not limited to any gender, or in general, any person.
One Girl Scout said, “I didn’t know there were so many different things you could do when you are older and to never give up.”
Another young girl proclaimed, “No matter what, there is something out there for everyone.”
The Career Mentoring Event was also rewarding for the career mentors as well.
One mentor was moved by girls’ aspirations to become professionals in Science and Technology. She said, “It is exciting to see many young women who want to go into Science and Technology, you have all inspired me.”
While another mentor was impressed with the young ladies’ enthusiasm with activities inside and outside the classroom, she said, “I was really impressed with how articulate these ladies were in describing what they were passionate about inside and outside of the classroom. I want to encourage them to do things inside and outside the classroom.”
Ilene Fischer, WEST’s Executive Director said “WEST has a membership of 500-plus women in science, engineering and technology, they are great role models and career mentors for these young girls. This is WEST’s way of giving back and of developing the future leaders in Science and Technology.”
The event was successful, an unforgettable, life changing event for the girls, their parents and the mentors. By the end of the evening, the Girl Scouts, parents, and career mentors were moved and inspired by the new possibilities they had in front of them.
More information: http://www.westorg.org or ifischer@westorg,org.
WEST: Advancing Women in Science and Technology is a 501(c)3 Massachusetts based non-profit. WEST’s mission is to promote, advance, and develop women in Science, Engineering, and Technology as leaders, advocates, C-level executives and thought leaders that make a profound difference in the communities they serve.
WEST is a community and a forum, for early, mid-career, executive and entrepreneurial women. Through participation our members become inspirational leaders and role models for their teams, organizations and businesses.
News Source: WEST: Advancing Women in Science and Technology :: This press release was issued on behalf of the news source by Send2Press® Newswire, a service of Neotrope®. View all current news at: http://Send2PressNewswire.com .
This entry was posted by Send2Press on May 18, 2012 at 12:03 am, and is filed under Cambridge, CAMBRIDGE, Mass., career mentors, career paths for girls, Education, Massachusetts, NonProfit, Science, WEST: Advancing Women in Science and Technology. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0.You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.
- Fifth Annual Magdelena Bash Arizona Wine Harvest and Music Festival Scheduled for August 23 at Kief-Joshua Vineyards
- Denver’s Newest and Largest Floatation Center Has Just Opened Its Doors
- New Book Concerns the Fate of Malaysia Flight MH370
- Easeusapp Launches PhonTunes for iOS to Deliver New YouTube Music Videos Experience to Music Fans
- New Upgrade! EaseUS Releases Todo PCTrans 7.0 with Advanced Data Migration Solution
- Scott Law Firm Automates Name Permutation Searches for Military Personnel to Comply with SCRA, Quandis Technology Enables
- iConcepts Inc. Announces the Release of OIC Tax Planner Online – Tax Resolution Software for the EA, CPA and Attorney
- Valiant Horizon Announces Remixes of ‘Ready’ Single by American EDM Artist Terry Sartor Produced by German Electronic Musician Jerome Klark
- Luxuryville Records to Release Their Debut Exploration Into the Dub Genre with ‘Dubtronica, Vol. I’
- NHL Franchise Carolina Hurricanes Select Massey Consulting to Implement Intacct Financial Accounting