ISLA Hosts Fundraiser in Long Beach to Benefit Lifeguard Training Initiatives in Dominican Republic and Nicaragua
HUNTINGTON BEACH, Calif., March 13, 2012 (SEND2PRESS NEWSWIRE) — On Wed., March 14 and Thurs., March 15, 2012, International Surf Lifesaving Association (ISLA) will be hosting a special fundraiser at the Original Roadhouse Grill in Long Beach, located at 7391 Carson St. The purpose of the fundraiser is to raise critical funds and awareness for ISLA’s training initiatives in the Dominican Republic and Nicaragua later this month.
Founded in 2008, ISLA’s mission is to reduce the number of drownings worldwide by building a culture of water safety. Comprised of volunteer lifeguards, the organization provides training, medical supplies, disaster relief, and emergency personnel to beach communities around the world.
In November 2011, ISLA traveled to the Dominican Republic to train volunteers from various agencies within the country in lifesaving and lifeguarding techniques. As part of the initiative, ISLA conducted an intensive three-day Ocean Lifeguarding Training, which included a First Aid and CPR practical exam, physical instruction, written test, and non-buoy and buoy rescue practical exam. Twenty-nine lifeguard trainees completed the rigorous training course and received Basic ISLA Lifeguard Certification, the first professional lifeguard certification in the Dominican Republic now required for a lifeguard to become certified.
Two ISLA volunteer lifeguards will return to the Dominican Republic in late March to continue the second phase and to begin the third phase of its initiative to create permanent lifeguard agencies that guard the public and private beaches of the country.
In late March, fourteen ISLA volunteer will also conduct the first phase of its Ocean Lifeguarding Training in Nicaragua.
Thanks to local hotels and other agencies, courses and accommodations are provided to participants and ISLA instructors at no cost.
“We are excited to promote a sustainable culture of water safety in both Nicaragua and the Dominican Republic with our Ocean Lifeguard Training,” said ISLA President Henry Reyes. “We look forward to serving both communities and are confident that these courses will have a positive impact.”
To learn more about ISLA’s upcoming fundraiser at the Original Roadhouse Grill, please visit its Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ISLAsurf . Supporters will be able to download a special flyer to donate 20 percent of their bill to ISLA.
About International Surf Lifesaving Association (ISLA):
International Surf Lifesaving Association (ISLA) is a non-profit focusing on reducing drownings worldwide by building a culture of water safety. ISLA provides training, medical supplies, disaster relief, and emergency personnel to beach communities around the world. Learn more at http://www.islasurf.org .
Manager of Public Relations
International Surf Lifesaving Association (ISLA).
News Source: International Surf Lifesaving Association :: This press release was issued on behalf of the news source by Send2Press® Newswire, a service of Neotrope®. View all current news at: http://Send2PressNewswire.com .
This entry was posted by Send2Press on March 13, 2012 at 11:50 pm, and is filed under Events, International Surf Lifesaving Association, Ocean Lifeguarding Training, Police, Fire and Rescue, reducing drownings. Follow any responses to this post through RSS 2.0.You can leave a response or trackback from your own site.
- Civic Resource Group International (CRGI) Participates in Microsoft CityNext
- ImageAMMO LLC and MobileMoment LLC Partner to Reach Consumers through Mobile Marketing
- GAME: A NEW concept Sports Bar opening yards from Ravens Stadium and Oriole Park in South Baltimore
- Energy Optimizers, USA, vice president to participate in advocacy trip to Washington, D.C.
- Author Kelly Browne Reissues Thank-You Note Book: ‘101 Ways To Say Thank You’ with Social Media Tips
- Mueller Offers a Metal Building to a Deserving Texas Non-Profit Organization for the 7th Straight Year
- Spodak Dental Group Named as a Top Workplace in South Florida
- Emilio N. Francisco, PDC CEO, Sees Diversification of EB-5 Investor Pool as a Positive Evolution of the EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program
- American Roofing and Building Supply Sustains Wind and Hail Damage
- TriWest Healthcare Alliance Announces a New Veterans Hiring Initiative with Hire America’s Heroes